New Guests

Just a quick note today. I have finally updated the links on this site to feature some of the blogs that I have been reading and whose authors have been visiting and commenting here. So, Greg, Steve, John, Cecil and Bobby, this is your official welcome. To anyone else reading this, I encourage you to check out these other blogs as they are a good combination of humor and insight and theology. Plus, as these guys sometimes comment here at my blog, it is a way for you to check out who these folks are and what they are up to. Of course the real reason for the links is just that now it is more convenient for me to visit them since it is, as you might as well know, all about me.

Also, this seems a good time to thank Greg for the link on the origin of playing cards which is in the comments of my previous posts.. It sounds like the origin isn't really known with any certainty and that's a little comforting as it partially explains why know one seems to know the answer. This made me think a thought I've had before which is that one of the most significant differences between the future and the present is how much more information we will know about our past. I think that sentence makes sense.

What I mean is that there is a ton of stuff we don't know about, or know very little about concerning what happened 500 (or more) years ago. A large reason for that, of course, is the limits of technology and the way people recorded and stored "history." It has become so much easier and convenient to record and store data than ever before, it should follow that less and less will be lost. Plenty will still be lost no doubt, but perhaps less than ever before in human history. Which means that in 500 years when archaeologists unearth Neverland Ranch and begin to ponder how or why its disturbing owner was so popular, especially with Asian teen girls, they can look back into the stored data and hear his music and see his performances and read his press clippings and then they will know exactly what we know about it. That is to say, they won't have any clue either. But at least they can read all about it. The most we have when trying to unravel a mystery like this is a few scraps of ancient manuscripts about which scholars change their minds every 20-30 years concerning its proper interpretation.

I can't wait for the future. There will be so much good reading about what's happening now.

In an unrelated note, I think it is funny that the spell check option on my blog posting page does not recognize "blog" or "blogger" as a word. Maybe it's because no one knows whether it is noun or a verb and they feel like it is better just ignored and changed to the word "bloc" when people aren't paying attention to their spell checking.

Comments

Peggy said…
I tried a blog once but could only find the time to post once a month, so I gave it up.
I am tempted to start again, just so I could be on your roll.(Assuming I would be found worthy, of course.)
In the end,it's easier for me to just comment on everybody else's blog.
That,and,my family is placing 3 to 1 odds against me.
cwinwc said…
Josh - Thanks for the official welcome. I've been reading your blog from "afar" for a while. I'm glad to be one of the "Townies."
Josh Stump said…
Peggy, I would read your blog, but I would also add you to the blog roll day 1. Are other people ever allowed in on your family bets? Have you ever considered an off-shore gaming website featuring only your family bets? Could be huge. The betting on Otis' antics alone could change the face of gambling as we know it.

cwin, Yep, you're a local now.

SL, that is truly fascinating. I love that kind of stuff. I'm going to Wikipedia tonight. Good work

Popular posts from this blog

The myth of fingerprints

I Left My Heart.....in San Diego

So Much Going On