Signs of Our Times


I wanted to get a bunch of quick movie reviews posted and will try to do that this week, but haven’t had time yet. So first, the picture that is posted with this blog comes from a website that sells replicas of signs from London. This is apparently a real sign in London, England. Of course, the imagination is running wild with the possible contents of the box, but I also like how forceful it is. Apparently it is not enough to provide protection, but you must clearly direct someone to use it. Nice. Here are my thoughts on what might be in this box:


1. A note containing a strongly worded reprimand which is what the English Bobbies are armed with instead of guns. Not surprisingly, English criminals are still foregoing these notes in favor of guns.


2. A sandwich. Not only nature’s perfect food, but a recipe for peace on earth. Probably roast beef.


3. It’s not a real box, but one of those “air boxes” created by mime’s and street performers…oh no wait, that would likely encourage an assault, never mind.


4. A phone connecting you to an automated answering service that begins, “hello, you’ve reached ‘phone in a box’ protection. If you are about to be assaulted, please press 1. If you are feeling the urge to assault someone else please press 2. If you believe the assault may cause you serious injury, please hang up and run like your pants are on fire.”


5. Another sign that says, “watch your bum, you’re about to be assaulted.” Ahhh, British humor.


6. A Frenchman who will immediately surrender on your behalf and then take your beating for you.


7. A wig and cattle gun to make you look like the bad guy from “No Country for Old Men.” If you are fortunate enough to be assaulted by fans of the Cohens’ films this will be terrifying to them.


8. A pen. After all it was a great English poet and playwright who first wrote, “the pen is mightier than the sword.” So, if you are about to be assaulted with a sword, this will apparently make you mightier. That said, sword related assaults appear to be on the decline while misuse of the pen continues to see ever increasing popularity. So keep that in mind.


9. Nothing, the box is a metaphor for the protection that Scotland Yard provides. Sadly, 47 people in London and the surrounding area died last year trying to protect themselves with metaphors.


10. Love. Because all we need is love. I know this is true because it is in a song. Also, like it or not, we all live in a yellow submarine.


Well those are my guesses. What do you think? Does anyone out there know the real answer?

Comments

cwinwc said…
I don't know but I like #6. Not very PC but very funny nonetheless.

Reminds me of an email I received from a friend of mine who was serving in Bosnia. Apparently there was some friction between American and French Peace Keeping Forces. The email went something like this:

Dear Mom and Dad,

Serving here in Bosnia isn't too bad except for our run-ins with some the French Soldiers. One of them stopped me outside the Mess Hall the other day and began to down our Country. He accused us of being war-mongers who were spoiled and wanted things in the world our way.

After a few minutes of trying to be diplomatic I couldn't take it any more so I decked him.

Well, got to go.
Love,
Debbie
Peggy said…
I believe there is a well behaved goat inside the box.
Josh Stump said…
Cecil, Great story. I know it isn't PC or fair or even very nice. It's also sort of the easy way to a punchline, but I still giggled as I wrote it. I don't really hate all french people, but their response to us after 9/11, especially in contrast with Great Britian's response made a lasting impression on me.

Peggy, You could be right. I certainly think it would stop me in my tracks if I was going to assault someone and they pulled an obedient goat from a box.
Stoogelover said…
I, too, like #6. You might consider a recording with nothing but "Number 6 ... Number 6 ... Number 6" on and on. It worked for the Beatles!

I actually do know the real answer but I'm standing inside that box so I can't be assaulted by those who do not know the real answer!
Cheryl Russell said…
Maybe it's Naomi Campbell armed with a cell phone and dressed to kill. I think she could fit in there.
Unknown said…
It's a trick, a trap courtesy of Monty Python. George Michael is actually inside that box waiting to assault someone.
Anonymous said…
Hey -

Where are you? we're missing you!

Check in, okay?

Cheers & Blessings to you all today!

Dww

Popular posts from this blog

The myth of fingerprints

I Left My Heart.....in San Diego

So Much Going On