Good things.


I’m feeling somewhat uncharacteristically upbeat so I thought I would pass that along. I know that I, like just about everyone other than Russian authors and maybe Eyore, am more fun to be around when I’m feeling good about the world, so what better time to blog I thought. Today, just a short (I hope) list of some of the things I’m thankful for. Not a complete list by any means. Not a weighted list since these are not the most important things necessarily, just a few things.


Ok, so my reason for this is not just to be positive, but to encourage everyone who reads this to stop what they are doing right now and list 5 things that are good in their life. Everyone can name 5, even if you have to go with “democracy” or something broad like that. Just list 5. No negatives. No “I have X, but I really wish I had Y”, just 5 good things. And if you get rolling, do more. But write them down and take 10 seconds just to read them back to yourself. This exercise should take no more than a minute, but I bet it makes you feel better for longer than that.


Here goes:


1. God loves me even when I ignore Him and betray Him.
2. I am married to the most beautiful woman I have ever seen and her physical appearance, which rivals any woman, is not even among her best qualities.
3. I took my boys to the t-ball game on my own last night since my wife was with friends in the hospital. Our boys are so fun and well-behaved (taking no credit for that myself), that I was able to not only entertain the 3 year old while cheering on the 6 year old, I actually coached 3rd base too. God has given me wonderful sons.
4. Our friends in the hospital are going to be ok.
5. I have a good job that pays for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more stuff than I need.
6. All that stuff I buy doesn’t make the list of best things in my life.
7. My 10 year old car still runs.
8. My health is good despite my best efforts.
9. My parents love me and better yet make sure I never have any doubts that is true.
10. My wife and I laugh at the same things in movies.
11. I just attempted to make 3 lunch appointments with 3 of my friends, all of whom are very busy, for this week and managed to get them all. Now I get to look forward to good conversations in the middle of my day for the rest of the week.

Comments

Peggy said…
This reminds me of what our group did recently. We prayed about all the things that are NOT on our list. We abandoned our ritual of praying "the list" and instead, gave thanks for everything that's not on our list. Its great to be blessed. Even better to KNOW it. Better still to acknowledge it.
cwinwc said…
Good to see things are going well in your family. Ah the days of T-ball. Enjoy my brother. Sure wish you were coming to Pepperdine.
Anonymous said…
I love it when you are happy and things are going your way. Glad you are blogging again. The pictures are such a great touch and wow what a beautiful family.
Thurman8er said…
Isn't it funny how, when you're feeling kind of lousy about life in general, it seems like an enormous effort to even list 5 positives.

It's not that I couldn't. I just don't feel like it.
leslie said…
well, i can list this blog as a bright moment of my day today. the list idea is a good one. and i like the wonderful things i see on yours.

Popular posts from this blog

The myth of fingerprints

So Much Going On

I Left My Heart.....in San Diego