Have you Seen the Gospel?


Our new preacher Aaron, (who is a great guy and fantastic preacher, but don't tell him or he will become even harder to control...and I am all about control) stole my idea (even though I hadn't told anyone about it yet) and asked a number of people from my home congregation to share ways in which they have seen the good news of Jesus in their lives in 2008. Those who were willing are writing short essays to post on the website. My wife just went through this exercise and I have printed her essay. In other words, good news - instead of me you get my mactastic wife as guest blogger today.


WARNING: Reading this story may lead to eyes watering.


The song referenced is the one I wrote for Tanya and is on the new CD if you want to listen.


-----------


Have you ever thought about what a child’s life must be like? Wandering in a forest of long legs. Smaller than everyone else. Bouncing like a pinball through a sea of kneecaps. At any moment, some “giant” grown-up may come along and swoop you up off the ground and suddenly you are suspended in mid-air, comfortably dependent on the strength of another.

Is this what Jesus meant in Matthew when he said …”I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven…”?

The idea of being carried is a welcome thought to a child. The idea of being comforted is too.

My five year old son G2 (pictured above) goes to Southwest Preschool at his Grandmother and Grandpa Young’s church. His teacher tearfully announced several weeks ago that she was taking a leave of absence to be with her mother, who battled cancer for 11 years and was soon headed for her home in heaven.

That was Show and Tell day and when G2’s turn came to show his treasure, he crawled over to sit knee to knee with his well loved but sad teacher, laid his hand on her knee and said “I brought this giant insect to show because it starts with an “I”, but that is not what I want to share. My Grandpa Stump is sick and that makes my Grandma sad just like you. This song makes her feel better so I am going to sing it to you and you will feel better.” At that point, he rose up on his knees and began singing “Oh Lord my God, please listen to me; hear my heart speak when words are lost. The path I’m on is rocky and steep and there’s a river of sin between us I need to cross. So carry me, to your peaceful shore…” He knelt there singing the entire first verse of “Carry Me” to his teacher.

He didn’t stop to think that no one had ever done that for Show and Tell before. He didn’t stop to wonder if kids would laugh or if he would sing it well. He KNEW that his Mommy sings it to him when he gets scared, that it makes his Grandmother feel better when she is sad and that it would help his teacher feel better too.

“Carry Me” is a worship song his Daddy wrote to sing at church and his Daddy often introduces his new songs to G2, and his brother G1, as “bed night” tunes before anyone else gets to hear them.

Later, I had to explain to him why his song made his teacher cry. I had to explain why it made his own Mommy cry along with all the other parents standing in the doorway. I explained that Jesus was working through him to comfort his teacher. He liked the idea of helping Jesus do his job.

It was one of the most beautiful and profound things I have ever seen; my wonderful boy, sharing how it feels to be carried like a child, suddenly suspended in mid-air, comfortably dependent on the strength of another.

I am pretty sure that IS what Jesus meant. What a blessing to be reminded by a child barely taller than my knee.

Comments

DKU said…
I had heard that story and it moved me as much the second time as the first. The profound thing is not that G2 can sing... look at his parents. But that G2 saw that song as a gift of comfort that he could freely give with the knowledge that it would definitely accomplish what it was designed to do. Comfort someone who needed comforting, just like when his mom and dad sing it to him! What confidence! (How many years of school will it take to remove that!... I guess I am pessimistic about that!) Your boys follow the parents. The parents follow the grandparents. God is good>
Peggy said…
I could go into some long discourse about emotional intelligence and the importance of children developing empathy-- which so many children lack entirely-- clearly G2's empathy cup runneth over. But I won't.

I will just say, "I sure do love that little boy."
cwinwc said…
You're right, you can read that story and not have tears in your eyes. At my Mom's funeral some 11 years ago, my son who now sings on our Church's Praise Team as well as play acoustic guitar on our Instrumental Praise Band, read from his favorite book, "Love You Forever" by Robert N. Munsch."

At each page where the Mom and later on her grown up son, would express their love for other each at each phase of life by saying:

"I love you forever, I'll like you always, as long as I'm living, my baby (and later "My Mom") you'll be," Steven at age 7 would sing that line in an melody he made up to go with the story.

I will forever have that coming of faith as well as that gift to my Mom, forever etched in my mind. Just as you will have your son's song of faith and praise as well my friend. Our children are truly gifts from God.

Thanks for sharing Bro. Any chance of you coming to the Pepperdine Lectures? Tri-tip would be on me.
Great story. Great song. Great kid. Awesome God! Thanks!

For all of those not familiar with the song, you can hear a clip and get your own copy at www.WestsidePraise.org. But then again, if you regularly read Josh's blog you already knew that!
Thurman8er said…
My son has just started singing during worship time and there is nothing better than listening to his voice. We are so blessed by them, aren't we?
Tam said…
Love it! Thanks for sharing!
leslie said…
wonderful.
Stoogelover said…
Great story! Thanks to the Wife for sharing it.
Anonymous said…
Oh man, that did bring a tear to my eye. And that was only after the first sentence, which really was the best. The whole thing kind of went downhill after that, in my humble opinion.

You do have a wonderful family. Children, in general, teach us much and your children, in specific, teach us a LOT. I think I know where they get it from...Tanya REALLY is an awesome mother!

Peace,
Aaron
Cheryl Russell said…
sniff. sniff. wiping tears on tablecloth. sniff.

That is a beautiful story.

Popular posts from this blog

The myth of fingerprints

I Left My Heart.....in San Diego

So Much Going On