Home Improvement


Dear Blog Reader,


My humblest apologies for my prolonged absence, but I made myself a promise when I started this blog. That is, I promised myself that I wouldn’t turn it in to another responsibility in a life with about 8 too many as it is. I committed to myself that I would only blog when I felt like it and I wouldn’t feel guilty when I didn’t. Turns out, I’m only keeping the first half of that promise as I can’t manage to avoid feeling bad when I haven’t updated this silly blog, but I guess that personality trait may explain some of why I feel like I’m a bit over-laden with responsibility.


Today’s update is to announce my embarking on a terrifying, but necessary project to repair the aged and neglected deck surrounding my house. Mixed in with some Summer fun with the crew pictured here, I will be spending the rest of the summer working on my deck.


With any luck, I will keep you posted on the deck project at this blog if for no other reason than it is sure to produce comical stories that will be funny to everyone other than me.


I live in a medium sized house with a rather large deck. Our house is on the side of a hill so it is a daylight basement sort of arrangement (like many NW homes), with the main living area on the street level and the downstairs leading out into the back yard. We have a deck on the street level that goes around the entire house. In the back, it is about 18 feet off the ground with another deck below it at yard level.


The previous builders of this house/deck clearly held these truths to be self-evident and sacred:


1. A house should have a deck sufficiently large to hold the entire USC marching band.


2. Any deck more than 4 feet off the ground should have a railing that not only allows toddlers to pass easily through it, but actually invites them do so.


3. Treated lumber or weather protecting paint is for sissies


4. Building a large deck and building a one room log cabin made of tinker toys requires the same level of craftsmanship.


5. Walking the stairs from an upper deck to a lower deck should be an adventure not unlike crossing that old wooden bridge that gave out on Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner in Romancing the Stone.


This deck building philosophy when combined with the previous owners’ belief that there is nothing wrong with a deck that a whole bunch of termites and carpenter ants can’t fix, has left our deck in ill-repair. It is still standing and will still support my weight, but it is long overdue for a facelift and that little nugget of home-repair delight will be my project for the rest of the summer and beyond.


The game plan is to take the project in stages as follows:


Step 1: Deny there is anything wrong with the deck
Step2: Fail to convince wife there is nothing wrong with the deck
Step 3: Stare at the deck for extended periods hoping that your focused energy will draw a lightening strike that will destroy the entire deck in a manner that is covered by home owners insurance.
Step 4: Go to building expert father-in-law to get a plan that is more likely to lead to a repaired deck than Step 3.
Step 5: Inspect the Deck to locate and identify all lumber that needs to be replaced and then mark the 4 small boards that don’t.
Step 6: Locate jacks that will allow me to lift the upper deck (18 feet off the ground) enough to remove large dry-rotted beams that appear to weigh approximately as much as Al Capone’s steel reinforced limousine.
Step 7: Add up all lumber and hardware needed to complete project and then marvel at how some boards and screws could cost roughly the same as an NFL Quarterback’s signing bonus.
Step 8: Jack up the deck, pop out the beams, put in the new beams, replace a few of the joists, lay down some new top boards, pat self on back for good work and take the rest of the morning off.


And, it’s as simple as that. Stay tuned. Should be exciting. We’ll set the over under on number of bones broken when I cause the deck to collapse on myself at 14 and adjust that number as the project progresses. Then, as my youngest brother was good enough to point out, when I get done doing all that work I will really just have what I already have with the knowledge that it might be safer assuming I haven’t actually made it more dangerous.


So, maybe you’re asking yourself, if I think this is such a big project, why don’t I just hire someone else to do it? I mean, after all I am some big fancy lawyer with money to burn right? Ignoring that hopelessly flawed premise for a moment, let me tell you why I’m doing this myself. When I first undertook to do this work, I got a pro to come give me a bid on what it would take to replace the whole thing, top and bottom. What would you guess? $5,000? $10,000? As much as $25,000? Surely not. That would be outrageous. I mean, it is just a wooden platform for crying out loud.


Try $96,000.00!!! So, basically, according to this professional deck builder, I bought a deck that just happened to have a house attached instead of the other way around.


So, hopefully, by the end of the summer, I will have no permanent injuries, and will be the proud owner of a safer, nicer looking deck that cost me slightly less than $96,000.


Keep me in your prayers.

Comments

leslie said…
first.. i love the picture

second.. well... you'll be in our prayers and will look forward to hearing the updates.
TanyaLee said…
Oh come on! It is really not all THAT bad! Just think of all the bonding time you will have with your sons. "Daddy, what are you doing? Daddy, is that supposed to look like that? Daddy, can I help use that saw? Mommy, what are those fun new words I heard Daddy saying?" This is going to be a rockin good time for one and all! I have the video camera ready. (as well as my tool belt and hard hat.)
Peggy said…
Let's say that you are a person who sometimes places bets on a veriety of outcomes. Which way would you go here?
Total project cost?
Total completion time?
Total trips to the emergency room?
Let the wagering begin.
cwinwc said…
Bro – A “medium size house” with a $96,000 deck???? Are you sure your deck wasn’t attached to the H.M.S. Titanic?

Bro – It’s good to see you again and please be careful wrangling with that $96,000 deck.
Stoogelover said…
Loved your brother's perspective on the project! With any luck, though, you just may end up with some really neat new tools ... power tools at that! When we built a deck around our pool a few years ago, I would mention how a certain tool would sure help us move a bit faster and my wife not only encouraged me to buy the tool, she insisted that I buy the tool. Excuse me, that would be plural TOOLS!

Suggestion: Before actually starting this project, take a couple of hours to watch Tom Hanks' movie, "The Money Pit."
Mike Lewis said…
Need any help?

If so, you might not want to call me since I have 0 building skills. But I am willing to help anyway. And if it can hold me, then it will be a success.
Sharie said…
This scenario sounds all too familiar. Beware of project creep. If you do too good a job on the deck it may outshine the house, leading to more and bigger projects...

Joe is standing by with tools in hand if you decide you need another accomplice.
Sharie said…
Great picture, by the way! (I'm especially partial to the cutie in the green hat in the background).
Josh Stump said…
Leslie,

Thanks. I just hope the updates aren't typed on a laptop in the emergency room.

Mactastic, the FCC has already banned all video of this event as it has been deemed in advance inappropriate for any person of any age.

Peggy, in order:
1. less than $96,000
2. less than the time it took to establish the Roman empire
3. 4

Cwinwc, the deck on the titanic was much more sturdy and held up to the elements better

Greg. Excellent point about the tools. So far, I believe this project calls for a new sledgehammer, a new saw and a new flat panel television.

Mike, you're hired.

Sharie, Joe is hired too. Our whole house is one ongoing project. There is no where else for it to creep. Also, glad I could provide Anna her first cameo.
Unknown said…
I'll bring the crew up for half that amount! We will even cover our expenses.
Josh Stump said…
Randy, that's a great offer, but consider this counter offer. You come up and we'll play one on one and the loser pays for or rebuilds the new deck. And if I "accidentally" kick you in your bad knee, well then that's just bad luck and you forfeit. What do you say?

Popular posts from this blog

The myth of fingerprints

So Much Going On

I Left My Heart.....in San Diego