Underrated

I like lists. I don’t like them as much as VH1 or “E” likes them, but I still like them. Today I’m starting my list for most underrated human behavior. It won’t be a ranking, just a list. And it won’t be a complete list, just a start. I’m talking about the things that people do or could do that will have a much bigger impact on someone or something than they or a reasonable person might expect. I will save my list of most overrated human behavior for later, but let’s just say “tipping” will be on it. I mean, 95% of the time you tip someone that you will never see again for a service already paid for and rendered. What impact does that have given that it is expected? Sure it puts a few extra dollars in someone’s pocket, but people act like tipping big makes them big time. Ridiculous. I truly hate the modern tipping culture. Maybe you knew that already. And now, if you are someone who works for tips, I’m sure you hate me. Oh well….

The first things that came to mind when starting this list were common courtesies, so I’m going to start there unless something else occurs to me while I’m writing this. Here we go:

1. Holding a door. This is especially good if holding the door for someone also allows them to go ahead of you in line at the deli, movie theater, etc. It’s a nice thing to do and it never fails to get a genuine smile and thank. I think people really appreciate this more than you would think. Thus, it is on the list.

2. Have a good day. Another simple one, but with a particular application. Find someone who is in customer service and has to wish people a good day as a part of their job. Then near the time they would likely say it, quickly beat them to the punch and wish them a good day. This never fails to get a genuine smile and thank even out of the most jaded Post Office employees. In fact, just adding a “you too” when they beat you to the punch is an easy thing to not do, but seems to usually be very appreciated. I mean, who would think this would mean anything, but my experience tells me it means something.

3. Remember someone’s name. I’m terrible at this one, but just remembering a person’s name, as mundane at that seems, really makes a difference to people.

4. Greet a loved one at the door. When someone you love gets home from vacation, work, evening meeting, grocery store, whatever. Stop what you are doing, go to the door and greet them. I think people really dig this.

5. Send a note. Tell someone thank you or that they did a good job. When I get notes like that it picks me up for a whole day or more and reading it again picks me up again and it takes like 30 seconds to do.

There could be negative things on this list too, like showing up late, but I’m going to stick with the positive and solicit input from whoever reads this. What things do or could people do that have a bigger impact than you would think by the size of the task?

Comments

Peggy said…
Hugely underated behavior...

Prayer

Listening

Helping without being asked
leslie said…
answering your phone and genuinely being available... (like you and tanya yesterday--thanks so much!!)

and well, pushing someone's car out of traffic (or even stopping to see if something is wrong).

i liked your 'good day'..when someone beats me to it at work.. that is a spirit lifter.

i have a handful of little courtesies one can show as a shopper/customer. a main one: eye contact and smile.

oh.. and i like your new look here.
cwinwc said…
Peggy has the one that I was going to add so I'll just alter a little:

Listening (without talking, much) and looking the person in the eye. As a Classroom Teacher with almost 30 kiddos in my charge at a time this is a tough but very much needed thing to do.

I hear it works great with adults as well.
Josh Stump said…
Peggy, good ones. If it were a ranking Prayer would have to go number 1, though I think Baptism would also be on that list.

Leslie, we were happy we could help. Eye contact definitely makes it high on the list.

C, It does work with adults. Plus, when the lawyer on the other side won't look me in the eye during negotiations, I know at that moment, that I've already one the negotiation and it is just a matter of letting it play out.
Unknown said…
not answering your cell phone (unless it's your wife) when you are talking to someone else

along that same line . . .

a total boycott of call waiting - talk to the person you are currently talking to - don't ask "can you hang on a second" while you take the other call - if you must then at least have the courage to say "this other call might be more interesting and more important than your call you wait and listen in silence while I go check."
Anonymous said…
Oooh. I am with Randy on the call waiting. Besides no one seems to know how to use it without hanging up on the person on hold anyway. Though maybe that just indicates that I am generally the one that is the least interesting of the options.
Also underrated, getting on the floor so you can look your children in the eye. Allowing people to help you. Responding to email even if you don't yet know the answer. Holding a door open for a person pushing a stroller.

Popular posts from this blog

The myth of fingerprints

So Much Going On

I Left My Heart.....in San Diego